Where can I find the safety video?
You can watch it online here
Do I need proof of vaccination?
Not at this stage.
Do I need a licence to hire a boat?
No skipper’s ticket or boat drivers licence is required when the boat is hired during the hours of daylight. A skipper’s ticket is only required for the Christmas light night hire. However, if you do not have a skipper’s ticket we can supply a guide at an additional charge we have a limit of 4 available per night. The guide will also take up one person on the boat limit.
Why don’t I need a skipper’s ticket to operate one of your boats during daylight hours?
MBBH holds a Certificate of Operation which allows you to enjoy the waterways of Mandurah as long as:
- The vessel stays within the estuary, marina, or peel inlet and does not go out to the ocean.
- The vessel is not capable of exceeding 10 knots with one 75kg adult aboard. The vessel will be slower when full of passengers.
- The driver must receive a briefing from MBBH staff on the safe operation of the vessel and be deemed competent.
- We provide on water support with our own rescue vessel.
- We monitor all vessels on our centralised GPS system.
- The vessel can only be used in the daylight hours without an RST
I have never driven a boat before, is it safe?
Yes, it is perfectly safe, just listen to the MBBH staff and follow their instruction and if you’re unsure just ask the staff your questions. We are here to assist you, we are sure you will have a very enjoyable experience.
Do you provide life jackets?
Yes all the boats have adult life jackets aboard and child life jackets will be handed to you at the same time as your safety briefing.
Do I need a to have a boat licence/ Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST) to Hire a boat to see the Christmas Lights?
Yes, you will need a skipper’s ticket and this will need to be produced at the time of hire – The Department of Transport Marine Safety has allowed us to extend our licence to operate at night with a couple of extra requirements to our normal operation.
- All vessels have to be fitted with navigation lights.
- The driver / hirer must have a Recreational Skippers Ticket (RST) to show that the driver has operated a vessel and is competent in doing so.
- The vessel must stay in the canals and sheltered waterways and not go out to the ocean.
I do not hold a skipper's ticket. Can I still see the Christmas lights?
Yes, you can, we have a certain amount of guides for each night that can show you the lights for an extra charge.
What is the length of hire time for the Christmas lights?
The minimum hire time is 1.5 hours Please note: night time hire is 6.30 pm – 10.00 pm. The best time to start is 7.30pm
What time do I need to be there for my hire?
You will need to be there 15 – 20 minutes before your allocated hire time to ensure you have completed your paperwork and safety briefing so that you can enjoy your full hire time on the water.
How many people can I have on the boat?
Each boat is licensed for a certain number of people – this number includes all adults, children, and infants. i.e.; the boat is licensed for seven than the maximum people on board inclusive of all children and infants is seven. If you have a guide onboard they will also need to allowed for as one of the people.
Can I bring my dog on the boats?
Can I bring food and drinks on the boat?
Can I fish and crab from the boat?
- We have certain boats that are suitable for fishing & crabbing (10 seater basic pontoon, 8 person runabouts and the 4 seater dinghy's)
- Please advise us you wish to fish when booking
- You will need to hold a fishing from boat licence (issued by the Department of Fisheries)
- You can bring your own fishing and crabbing equipment or you can hire it from us
Can I have BBQ on board?
Yes, you can bring your own gas only BBQ. BBQ's are only to be used on the 10 person basic pontoons. Not the deluxe pontoons.
Can I play music on the boats
The boats don't have stereos you will need to bring a music box that you can bluetooth to via your own phone.